Pretty crochet “Phannie” hat

The Phannie 

Crochet pattern available from ravelry

One of my closest friends made this hat but it was too small for her so she gave it to me. I do have a child’s size head after all. Anyways, now that it is cold and I am way too lazy to take the time and blow dry my hair, it is really great to have such a beautiful hat that I can just toss all my hair up into. Isn’t it pretty?

 

I never knew just how great slouchy hats were. And the color is perfect for brightening the chilly Chicago days 🙂


Thanks Jess!  

Advertisements

A “Delightful” hat knitted for my husband

At long last, I have completed knitting the hat for my husband, first referred to here. Aaron, though, does not want to model for my blog, so instead it is on my head. and it is a bit big on my head. (i have a child size head – i have even been known to wear little kid’s sunglasses – particularly if they have Tigger on them).

My first hat ever knitted, and my third knitting project completed. The first being a sock (yes – one sock – I have yet to complete the second sock). The second being my husband’s scarf. and this being the third.

This hat uses the 0-600 Hat in Stockinette st by DROPS design. Technically it needed “delight” yarn, also by DROPS but I bought Berroco Ultra Alpaca in “salt and pepper” color from a local store, called Loopy Yarns. I  really liked the way it turned out.

As for the pattern itself? I will definately do another pattern by DROPS design. It was very easy to read and turned out just as the picture suggested. My only complaint is that the “large” and “small” measurements were not quite what I had expected. Measuring my husbands head, I though I would use the “large” counts specified in the pattern. I started with size 2 double pointed needles and 170 sts. About 1 cm into the project I realized it was HUGE and thus started over. I ended up starting with 134 sts (smaller even the the “small” recommendations in the pattern). and it seems to have been a good choice. when it came time to decrease and switch to a larger needle size I decreased to 124.

I used five double pointed needles and am excited that despite the potential for four seams there is actually only one. And I kinda like the way there is a spiral made by the eight seams on the top during the decrease.

Overall I give this pattern a 2/5 for difficulty (probably a 1 if I hadn’t had problems with the measurements). Ultimately I give the final result a 5/5 and would highly recommend it to anyone.